Hi guys, I hope you all are well. It is now blogmas day 18 and I am getting very excited for Christmas – just a week to go. I hope you are all getting into the festive mood :). So today’s blogmas post is the Grinch Book Tag. It was created by Sam over at Thoughts on tomes. The Grinch is a classic Christmas film for me – I remember watching it as a child, so when I saw this tag I had to do it :). Let’s move onto the questions.
1. Half of the lights on the Christmas tree are burnt out : Name a book/series/character that started out good but then went downhill:
For this I think I would have to go with Across the Universe by Beth Revis. I read this last year and I was very disappointed. It started out quite well – the main character is cryogenically frozen but is woken up early. However the book started to deteriorate quickly. The characters were flat and kind of annoying, the writing was average and the plot was pretty boring, as well as being a little predictable. I liked the beginning, but overall I did not get on with this book.
2. Annoying Great Aunt Sally who will not leave you alone : Name a book that you didn’t enjoy, but everyone else seems to love so it never goes away:
This has to be any Sarah J Maas book – seriously they are everywhere. I read the first two books and attempted to read the third of the Throne of Glass series, but I could not get into it. I just don’t understand the love for this series. I haven’t read her other series, so I can’t comment on that, but I did not get on with the Throne of Glass series. You can’t escape seeing her books everywhere though.
3. Your pets keep knocking over the Christmas decoration : Name a character that kept messing things up for everyone else (can’t pick a villain!)
I am having a really hard time coming up with an answer for this, but maybe Malta from the Liveship Traders trilogy. Especially in the earlier books. When we first meet her, she only really thinks of herself and doesn’t think about how her actions may affect others.
4. You hear your parents putting out the presents and learn Santa isn’t real: Name a book you were spoiled for
The only thing I can think of are the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling. I remember seeing the fifth film (Order of the Phoenix) when it came out (I would have been 13) and really enjoying it. So I subsequently picked up the books, but obviously I already knew what happened in the first five books because I’d seen the films.
5. It’s freezing outside: Name a main character you just couldn’t connect with
Well I am going to say all of the characters from the Falling Kingdoms series by Morgan Rhodes. I read the first two books in this series and I just could not connect with any of the characters. Magnus is a complete arsehole (seriously I really dislike this guy), Cleo is spoiled and two-dimensional, Jonas is just kind of there and Lucia is naive, annoying and kind of stupid. To me they were all flat, two-dimensional and cliched. I could not connect with them at all.
6. Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ and it’s giving you anti-romantic feelings : Name a couple you couldn’t stand
I had a hard time coming up with an answer for this one, but the first one that comes to mind is the end relationship of the Shadow and Bone trilogy by Leigh Bardugo – basically who Alina ends up with. I just did not like their relationship and did not get on with the guy.
7. That scratchy homemade wool sweater you got for Christmas years ago but won’t get rid of : show some books that have been sitting on your shelves for a while, and you aren’t motivated to read, but you don’t have the heart to get rid of
I don’t really have an answer for this as I don’t want to get rid of any unread books on my shelf right now, but a book that has been on my shelf for a while is The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth. I just haven’t been motivated to read this book. I think because it is written in a version of Old English, I kind of feel a little intimidated by it. I do want to read it at some point, but I have to work up the courage first :).
8. Grandma Got Run-over by a Reindeer: Name a character death you still are mad about (warn people for spoilers! You can also use TV or movie deaths)
There are so many that I could choose, but I think I am going to have to go for one in the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. Without spoiling it for any one in the final book (I think) there is a death of a non human and it absolutely broke me. I don’t see that it was necessary and I like to pretend that it never happened. I am sure if you’ve read the series you will know what I am referring to. Also the death of a certain character in Orphan Black in season three was devastating – I am not one to ship things but this death sunk one of my only ships.
9. The malls are overly crowded with holiday shoppers: Name a series that has too many books in it/went on too long
To be honest I can’t really think of any for this. I think I’ve been pretty lucky with the series I’ve read – in that I haven’t thought that the series is too long. The only thing I can think of is the Mortal Instruments series. I don’t think it needed to be six books.
10. The Grinch : Name a main character you HATE (No villains again!)
Hate is a strong word but I definitely strongly dislike this character. This is a bit of a repeat answer, so sorry about that, but this has to go to Celeana Saradothien from the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. As I mentioned earlier I am not a fan of this series and one of the main reasons is the main character. She is the most infuriating character I’ve ever come across – she is arrogant, selfish, judgemental, vain, immature, vindictive and emotionally unstable. I could go on but I think I’ve made my point :). I do not understand the love people have for her.
That is the Grinch Book tag. I am sorry if I’ve offended anyone with my opinions but I am just being honest :). I’d be interested in know what you guys think and so I tag anyone who wants to do this tag. I had a hard time with coming up with some of these answers but it was a fun tag to do. I hope you are all having a wonderful day and I will see you next time.